Saturday, October 21, 2017

Rudder Ready for Covering

Today started, per usual, with me learning that I probably should have done things in a different order.  I took the freshly machined control horn and started scoring the holes on the rudder spar and rib for the control horn bolts, but soon realized that securing the nut underneath the gusset already riveted in was going to be difficult.  Next time, I'll have to wait to rivet in the gusset until after the control horn.  This will allow clean access to the nut and will allow me to line up the rivets on the gusset so they don't interfere with the bolt, two of the problems I had today. 

 
After scoring for the holes, another problem emerged:  My drill was too large to give me a straight angle to drill into the rudder rib. So, off to Harbor Freight again where I picked up this pneumatic angle drill.  I intended on getting the electric one, but they were out of stock and the shop is set up for air, so for $27 after coupon this one did the trick. 
 
 
The bolt holes were drilled out with a #11 bit and I really liked the air drill, it allowed for good bracing so the holes were clean and on point.  After a quick deburring the AN3-10A bolts were slid in place.  For the nut end under the gusset, I rigged up a thin wall 3/8" socket to a long extension bar so I cold hold it firm while ratcheting the other end.  That did the trick, but I didn't like the stress it placed on the gussets to get it in place.
 

 
After the control horn was bolted in, I started fabricating two angle braces that are not in the plans, but suggested to me by master builder Sam Buchanan who used them on his Fokker project.  I started off by cutting out two pieces, each 2" by 4", from the gusset thickness aluminum sheet, then bent a 90 degree bend with the metal brake right down the middle long ways.  Then, the pieces were traced out over the control horn to fit, sanded, smoothed and deburred, before the next step.
 
 
Two rivet holes were drilled using a #30 bit in the control horn and braces for each side, and one rivet hole for each side was drilled where the brace connects to the rudder spar.  After the deburring and locking in with Clecos, they looked smooth and strong, ready for rivets.
 
 
Once the stainless steel rivets were pulled, I was happy with the result.  The control horn fells strong and stable enough so that it can take the forces of taxi and braking.
 
 
 
With the practice rudder fully fabricated, it is next time to try my hand at covering.  I have to watch the covering video from Stewart Systems again and will be back at it soon.
 
Practice Build Time = 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment