Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Finishing Tape

Now that the fabric has set, it's time for the finishing tape.  I cut out 2" strips of fabric to use as tape for the rib seams with the pinker after tracing out the strips with a pencil.  I figured for this practice rudder there was no need to order a roll of tape and the spare fabric could get me by.  They turned out nice and straight with clean pinked edges.
 

A quick sizing and pinking the edges for a precise fit and they are ready to glue down.


Per the suggestion of the fabric system manufacturer, I started by gluing about a two inch square on the wing fabric, then placing the leading edge of the strip over the glue patch while wet.  I pressed in the strip, then brushed glue on top.  While wet, I wiped the glue with a shop towel to help press in the glue and to clean off any glue ridges that would show through finish.  I repeated for the rest of the rib tape strips, then let dry.  This gave a good base to work with that allowed be to tug the strip straight as I worked it later.


Once the tip was dry, I finished the tape with the same process as the initial spot.


I let that dry, then worked the other side of the rudder  in the same manner.


Next was the finishing tape for the rudder bow.  I use 3" Bias Dacron tape for the bow because I wanted something that could stretch out the wrinkles around the curve.  Turns out that was a good choice.  I started by tracing clean glue line with a pencil around both sides of the bow.


Just like the rib tape, I started with a glue patch on the top edge of the bow, then let it dry as an anchor while working the bow tape. Again, using a shop towel to clean off the excess glue while wet.


I worked out the wrinkles while working the tape around the bow.  The bias tape worked well and with a little tugging along the way the wrinkles were not a problem.

 
Once finished, the tape looked decent enough.  Time to let it all dry fully, then do the final shrink of the fabric.



Practice Build Time = 2 hours

 

No comments:

Post a Comment